|I was in New Haven tonight, taking in the Yale vs. Providence game. Yale prevailed, 13 – 6, in a contest between two good teams. The Bulldogs are now 5-3, while the Friars are 7-4.|
Beyond enjoying the game, I was struck by the number of Californians suited up for this game – 9! As a symbol of the growth in numbers and quality of California laxers, nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is more expressive of the rising tide of Californians on NCAA DI teams than seeing nine guys from "Cali" suited up and ready to play!
Providence has 6 California players. They are:
• Jack Cruzan, Del Mar, Cathedral Catholic
• Griffin Goudreau, Campbell, Bellarmine
• Jake Newman, Mill Valley, Marin Catholic
• Zach Rogers, Rolling Hills Estates, Palos Verdes
• Giancarlo Sangiacomo, San Francisco, St. Ignatius Prep
• Jack Yeatman, San Diego, Rancho Bernardo
Yale has 3 players from the Golden State. They are:
• Michael Keasey, Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar
• JW McGovern, San Francisco, St. Ignatius Prep
• Alex Moffit, Rancho Santa Fe, Cathedral Catholic
Here are some breakdowns;
• Five players from parochial schools, four from public schools
• Four Norcal guys, three San Diego guys, and two from the greater LA area.
• Two schools had a pair of players in the game – St. Ignatius and Cathedral Catholic
What fun it was to see Giancarlo Sangiacomo and JW McGovern hanging out after the game, shootin' the breeze. As former teammates at SI, they battled for their college teams during the game, but afterwards, their long-lived friendship transcended the name of the college on their chest. Poignant moment for me!
I assert that nine is the largest number of Californians in history to suit up for an NCAA DI lacrosse game. If you can name two DI teams with more than 9 California players – who were on the same field at the same time – you'll win a prize from me. Post an anonymous message, with your name. I'll eliminate your name before publishing your message if you wish. The Prize? A case of new balls! Only NCAA DI teams for this contest, please. No DII or DIII teams and no club teams.
See the Inside Lacrosse game write-up at:
Providence College – NorCal Players